11/27/10

Tree Lighting... not a blast!

Sam and I took Salem down to the tree lighting ceremony at Pioneer Courthouse Square last night and had so much fun! We had a great time with Grammy & Papa, Auntie Autumn, Bekah, Tina & Ryan singing Christmas carols with the rest of Portland (with the help of Pink Martini, the Oregon Symphony, and the Pacific Youth Choir!).

Cricket passed out green flashing light buttons to everyone and it was so cool to watch the sea of flashing green lights dancing around under the 75 foot douglas fir.
Santa counted down and we all ooo-ed and ahhh-ed as its 15,000 lights illuminated at once.
I wish everyone could have seen Salem's face when it lit up. Her eyes got really big and she excitedly whispered "Yah! Yah!" It was a beautiful moment and a wonderful memory that we are going to turn into tradition from now on.
So, if we had so much fun, why the title of the post? Let me clear things up by referencing this news article...

"Somali-born nineteen year-old Mohamed Osman Mohamud attempted to detonate what he believed was a car bomb last night at a packed downtown Portland Christmas tree lighting ceremony, before he was arrested by authorities who had spent six months tracking him down. The alleged bomb sat in parked van - except it was a fake, planted by FBI agents as part of a sting operation. Mohamud had mailed bomb components to undercover agents he believed were co-operatives, telling them: 'I want whoever is attending that event to leave either dead or injured.' He'd previously explained to them, of the bomb plot: 'It's in Oregon, and in Orgeon, like, you know, nobody ever thinks about it."

Yeah. I almost threw up when I read this. We were, of course, totally clueless. And I'm glad, because we did have such a wonderful time... but wow. The eery part is that he was right. In Oregon, we don't worry about stuff like that happening. All I can think to say is thank you, God, for protecting us all.






1 comment:

  1. I almost called you when I heard about this on the news. I can't believe you were down there! It made me think about people that live in areas that are dangerous due to war and terrorist attacks. How easy it is to lose a loved one.

    I am grateful that the FBI intercepted that plot for destruction. Glad you are safe.

    love you!
    Amy
    PS we went downtown Chicago on Friday, like we do every year to look at lights and Macy's windows. I've never seen so many cops down there in my life. Cops, swat, and other officers (kinda looked like FBI) So weird, I thought maybe it was because of that incident.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...