6/1/11

On discovering roots...

You shine so bright it's insane, you put the sun to shame.
photo via kaikai blaisdell
Lately, I've felt an inexplicable draw to my native roots. 

I've been poring over photos of Native Americans, clothing, jewelry, art, weaving, etc. and I can't get enough.

photo via 20inchrims.tumblr.com
My Grandma Betty's parents were both half Native American, which makes her half as well. I guess that means I'm one-eighth. I've always thought it was cool growing up, but never really much more than that.

Sitting Bear, 1908
photo by Edward Curtis
I started reading Pushing the Bear: A Novel of the Trail of Tears. I'm allured into this story.

I've been checking out books on Native American art and history, and I am in love.

photo by Edward Curtis
I'm not sure why this mysterious attraction is so strong. I'm so high up in the branches of this family tree, that the earth looks quite blurry from my perspective. I want to know what's underneath-- I want to hear the story of the roots reaching through the soil.

.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...