10/13/11

Lemon Jello Cake!

"I was thinking for my birthday, you could make me a lemon jello cake!"
It's what he says every year, my friends. So why, after 49 years of annual deliciousness, should my dad change his birthday cake flavor decision? The story goes that his mom used to make it for him when he was a kid and he has been happily in love ever since. I actually kind of love that I get to make it for him now. I've never tasted it myself, because I have yet to make a gluten-free version, but I'm not so sure I want to--the praise from birthday celebrating tasters is plenty satisfaction for me. Each year, I switch it up a little bit, but it generally stays the same. It's incredibly easy to make. The hardest part is the icing, which involves juicing and zest-ing two lemons. Without further ado...

Lemon Jello Cake

cake ingredients:
1 (18.5 oz) package of yellow cake mix
(Here's where I switch it up, folks. Some recipes call for lemon cake mix, but I think that's too lemon-y! This year I used a french vanilla cake mix! booya!)
1 (3 oz) package lemon Jell-O gelatin
4 eggs
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup vegetable oil

icing ingredients:
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
(If you don't have a sifter, just use a whisk to aerate it!)
2 lemons, juice and zest of

how to:
1. Mix cake ingredients for 4 minutes.
2. Bake in 9x13 inch pan for 35 minutes OR follow baking instructions on cake mix box
(This year I used two 9-inch rounds).
3. While cake is baking, whisk together icing: powdered sugar & lemons (grated rind & juices!)
4. After removing from oven, use a toothpick to poke holes all over cake while hot.
5. Pour icing over cake immediately while still hot from the oven.
6. Serve warm or cold.

See? I told you it was a piece of cake!
(Corny humor in honor of my dad's birthday)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...