12/13/11

Run, run as fast as you can!


I decided to start a new tradition with Salie this year making gluten-free gingerbread men. I am pleased to announce that she loved it immensely, and that she found her true passion--taste testing! Not just the batter, friends, but all of the ingredients as well. She wasn't too sure about the molasses, but when I wasn't looking she dug her fist into the bag of brown sugar and shoved as much as she could into her mouth. We both wore our aprons and made a glorious mess. I could tell she was excited, because she repeated each one of my instructions and started telling ME what to do. "Wight dere, Mama!" She giggled with excitement each time the cookie cutter pressed out a fresh gingerbread man. She watched them bake in the oven window and told me they were "Weally hot!" I decided to decorate them myself during her nap... somehow, I didn't see that whole operation going over functionally well with a toddler. I think they turned out quite nicely. I have to say, with all the mess and redirection, this was one of the best times I have had with my little girl. I can't wait for Salie to wake up and try a "tookie."

*

If you're interested in trying this GF recipe yourself, here it is (thanks to jenncuisine.com)...

Ingredients 
(enough for a gingerbread house and some cookies):
3 c. almond meal
6 tbs. cornstarch
3 pinches of baking soda
3 tsp. ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
9 tbs. salted butter
6 tbs. light brown sugar
6 tbs. molasses
around 1 1/2 – 2 c. millet flour, plus extra for rolling

Directions:
1. Mix almond flour, cornstarch, baking soda, ginger and xanthan gum in a large bowl. Make sure mixture is well mixed.
2. Add butter, brown sugar and molasses to a small pan, and heat on medium stirring occasionally just until all is melted and smooth. Pour over the dry mixture and mix together. I mixed with my hands.
3. Add in millet flour gradually, incorporating it into the dough until the dough is thick enough to roll out – for me this was upwards of 2 c. Roll dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and let chill in the freezer for about half an hour.
4. Preheat oven to 375F. Place plastic wrap on a smooth surface, coat with some millet flour, lay down about 1/2 of the dough, and cover with plastic wrap. Roll out until about 1/4 ” thick (yes, these will be very thin cookies). Trace your gingerbread house plans or press in your cookie cutters and very carefully (I used a floured spatula), transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until nicely browned.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...